Friday, June 15, 2007

La Noyée

The post below led me to this Serge Gainsbourg song, so I thought I'd have a go at this one as well:

La Noyée
Tu t'en vas à la dérive
Sur la rivière du souvenir
Et moi, courant sur la rive,
Je te crie de revenir
Mais, lentement, tu t'éloignes
Et dans ma course éperdue,
Peu à peu, je te regagne
Un peu de terrain perdu.

De temps en temps, tu t'enfonces
Dans le liquide mouvant
Ou bien, frôlant quelques ronces,
Tu hésites et tu m'attends
En te cachant la figure
Dans ta robe retroussée,
De peur que ne te défigurent
Et la honte et les regrets.

Tu n'es plus qu'une pauvre épave,
Chienne crevée au fil de l'eau
Mais je reste ton esclave
Et plonge dans le ruisseau
Quand le souvenir s'arrête
Et l'océan de l'oubli,
Brisant nos cœurs et nos têtes,
A jamais, nous réunit.


The Drowned Woman
You drift away
Down the river of memories
And I, running on the banks
Cry out for you to return
But, slowly, you became estranged
And in my course of forgetting
Little by little I recptured you;
A little of the lost ground

Time and time again you emerge
from the moving liquid
Or again, brush against some brambles
You hesitate and you wait for me
By hiding your figure
In your turned-up dress
Distorted by fear (?)
And shame and regret.

You are no more than a poor wreck,
Ravaged bitch flowing with the stream
But I stay your slave
And plunge into the gutter
When the memories cease,
And the ocean forgets,
Breaking our hearts and our minds,
until never, we’ll be reunited.

No comments: