Friday, June 22, 2007

Phew!

Wow, that was hard. Translating FROM your own language INTO another one is 100x more difficult that going the other way around, at least for me. I'd hate to see what my translation of "Gypsy" *really* means! No, actually I'd like to. It's really hard to look things up in the dictionary-- for example, the word "still," as in "I still see your bright eyes." Still can mean: quiet or non-moving, or it can be a noun meaning a photo taken from a movie, a distillation apparatus. It can be a verb meaning to silence or settle. It can be an adverb, like "she sits still," or used to show a contrast, as in "people with PhDs are still sometimes stupid." It can also be used like "even more," as in "Frank is fat, but Chuck is fatter still."

Hello, English language? Why didn't you just invent different words for all these usages? I think in French they are all different! The meaning I want is like "continuing; I continue to see your bright eyes."

Here's what Google Translations has to say about my attempt:

I turned over underground velour
turned over has the floor
which I like has a room with dentalle and the flowers out of turned over paper
has the gipsy which I was once
has the gipsy...
which I was
And it all goes down has you well, you know that it well,
the flash foudroye, perhaps once, perhaps twice
ah, and he illuminates the night
and you see your gipsy
you see your gipsy
With the gipsy which remains, it faces of freedom with a little fear.
I do not have any fear, only the love
and if I would have one child to
and the child would be rather enough for me to like
enough has the love
It dances far from me maintaining
It was only one wish
It was only one wish
And the memories, it are very that remains for you
You see your gipsy
I see your eyes brilliants however

No comments: